Apart from the email and web servers, IEOR has several computational servers available to students and faculty for their research and other academic activities. These machines are named after localities in Mumbai. They have the following configurations.
|Machine Name||IP Address||CPU||Number of Cores||RAM (GB)|
|powai (web)*||10.119.2.10||Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz||7||32|
|passpoli||10.119.2.11||AMD Opteron(TM) Processor 6212||4||32|
|saki||10.119.2.12||Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz||20||128|
|tunga||10.119.2.13||Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz||20||128|
|kanjur||10.119.2.14||Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50GHz||20||128|
|tirandaz||10.119.2.15||Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5506 @2.13GHz||4||64|
|marol (email)*||10.119.2.16||Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz||7||8|
|kopri||10.119.2.17||Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v4 @ 2.20GHz||12||64|
*servers with restricted access
To view the load on the servers, click here. All these servers run Debian 9.8 "Stretch" operating sytem. They can be used to run the following software.
- ILOG CPLEX Optimization Suites
Besides these software, several standard linux utilities including compilers, debuggers, version control software, etc. are also available. Additional software can be installed on request.
Web and Mail Servers
Our web server Powai is an Intel-i7, 4-core, 32GB, 1TB machine. Its IP address is 10.119.2.10.
How to Access a Server using SecureShell (SSH)
All the above mentioned machines are accessible to all faculty and students of IEOR. Other interested members of IIT-B community may also request access to these servers. The users may log in by means of ssh. IIT Bombay LDAP identity and password would be required for authentication.
PuTTY, WinScp or SSH SecureShellClient can be used in Windows OS to connect to the server.
1. First download PuTTY from this link.
2. Next, configure PuTTY. Fill in server info in the Host Name (or IP Address) and Port fields. Type a name in the Saved Sessions field and click Save if you want to save this session info for quick reconnecting.
3. Now connect to the desired server by clicking Open. Input your username and password
SSH ("Secure SHell") is a protocol for securely accessing one computer from another. Despite the name, SSH allows you to run command line and graphical programs, transfer files, and even create secure virtual private networks over the Internet.
1. For installing the open SSH client & server we should give the command in the terminal window. In Ubuntu and other distributions, openssh-client is installed by default. openssh-client is required to run ssh from your computer. If you want to access your computer through ssh from some where else, then install openssh-server.
>>> sudo apt-get install openssh-client openssh-server
2. Once it is installed, we can open a terminal and type
>>> ssh username@ip_address
>>> ssh -l username ip_address
3. Then enter your password and it is ready to use.
4. If you want to use graphical windows after you log in, then you need to use -Y and -X options while logging in.
>>> ssh -X -Y username@ip_address
For more options type "man ssh" in any linux termminal.
Mac OS has a built-in SSH client called Terminal which can be used to connect to remote servers. By default, Terminal.app is located in Applications > Utilities folder. Double-click on the icon to start the client.
Using Terminal for SSH
At the prompt type:
>>> ssh username@hostname
where username is your LDAP username and hostname is the hostname of the server you are trying to connect to. For example, if user jafeerh wants to connect to Tirandaz server, he should type:
>>> ssh email@example.com
The network map of IEOR building can be found in this link. The same link also contains instructions for configuring LAN settings on workstations.
This page describes how to access IIT Bombay network from outside using our server without VPN.