Industrial Engineering and Operations Research (IEOR), IIT Bombay
- PhD (Logistics and Supply Chain Management) – National Institute of Technology Calicut (2020)
- M. Tech. (Advanced Manufacturing and Mechanical Systems Design) – Kannur University (2014)
- B. Tech. (Production Engineering) – University of Calicut (2012)
- Railway Operations Management
- Freight Transportation and Logistics
- Supply Chain Management
- Application of Operations Research and Simulation methodologies
RECENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES/PROJECTS:
- Rail freight path generation and analysis on GQD routes of Indian Railways – worked in the Indian Railways sponsored Rationalized Timetabling (Zero Base Timetabling) project undertaken at IIT Bombay.
- Railway crew planning for freight and passenger train services – considering the case of Central Railway – working with Prof. Narayan Rangaraj and Mr. Akshat Bansal (MTech graduate, IEOR).
- Multimodal rail and road transportation planning with freight consolidation – associating with Dr. Meenarli Sharma, Lyric (Chainbrain Private Limited), Chennai.
- Development of an optimization model for rail freight planning with volume discount based on order size - associating with Mr. Manoj Kumar (PhD scholar, IEOR).
- Speed differential analysis between freight and passenger trains - considering the case of Bilaspur - Rourkela section of Indian Railways.
- Ph. D. thesis – ‘Models and Methods for Freight Transportation Planning in a Food-grain Supply Chain’ - focuses on improving the transportation of food grains within the network of warehouses controlled by Food Corporation of India (FCI), Kerala Region.
- M. Tech. thesis – ‘Optimization of Mixing of Food Grains and Development of a Traceability System in Public Distribution System’ – inspired from the case of Food Corporation of India (FCI)
- B. Tech. Main Project – ‘Design and Manufacture of Drill Jig’ - carried out at HMT Machine Tools Ltd. Kalamassery, Ernakulam, Kerala.
Principal Investigator of the sponsored project titled Development of a Decision Support System for Multimodal freight Transportation Planning with a special application for FCI Kerala Region.
Funding agency: Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment (KSCSTE)
- Commendable Paper Award for the research paper presented at the Ninth International Conference on Business Analytics and Intelligence (BAICONF 2022) held at IIM Bangalore during 15 - 17 December 2022.
- B. G. Raghavendra Memorial Award for the research paper presented at the 49th Annual Convention of the Operational Research Society of India (ORSI) and International Conference on ‘Analytics in Operational Research’ held at Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida, during 12-14 December 2016.
- First position in the group for the research paper presented at the 58th National Convention of the Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering (IIIE) and International Conference on “Smart Strategies for Digital World – Industrial Engineering Perspective” held at Shri Ramdeobaba College of Engineering and Management, Nagpur, during 21-22 October 2016.
- Delivered a session on "Rail freight path analysis and the economics of freight consolidation in rail transportation" in the AICTE Training and Learning (ATAL) Academy Sponsored Online Faculty Development Programme titled "STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT IN RAIL AND ROAD TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM" organized by NIT Calicut on PM Gati Shakti Thrust Areas.
- Delivered a session on "Crew planning for freight and passenger rail services" in the AICTE Training and Learning (ATAL) Academy Sponsored Online Faculty Development Programme titled "DECISION MODELLING IN TRANSPORTATION AND LOGISTICS INDUSTRY" organized by NIT Calicut on PM Gati Shakti Thrust Areas.
- Delivered a session on “Railway crew planning” in the online training program on “Operations Research in Railways” for in-service railway officers organized by Indian Railways Institute of Transport Management (IRITM), Lucknow.
- Delivered a session on “Integrated planning of operations for freight services including crew planning" jointly with Prof. Narayan Rangaraj in the webinar “Advances in Transportation Sector: Techno-management challenges” organized by National Rail and Transportation Institute (NRTI), Vadodara.
- Delivered sessions on “AMPL Optimization Software” in the online Short Term Training Program on “SOFTWARE PACKAGES FOR MATHEMATICS IN ENGINEERING” organized by Vidya Academy of Science and Technology, Thrissur.
- Delivered an expert lecture on the topic ‘Food Grain Supply Chain Management’ in the MHRD TEQIP-III sponsored Faculty Development Program on ‘Models and Methods for Supply Chain Decisions’ organized by the Department of Mechanical Engineering, NIT Calicut under twinning with Government Engineering College Bharatpur.
- Delivered an expert lecture on the topic ‘An Overview of Food Grain Logistics Research’ in the short-term training program on ‘Research Methodology for Science, Engineering and Management’ organized by the Department of Mechanical Engineering, NIT Calicut.
- Delivered an invited talk on ‘Case Studies on Food Grain Logistics’ during the one-day workshop on ‘Supply Chain Management: An Overview’ at Vidya Academy of Science and Technology, Thrissur.
- Delivered a research presentation on ‘Software Tools for Data Analysis’ at Muthoot Institute of Technology and Science, Ernakulam.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES:
- Reviewer - Journal of Rail Transport Planning & Management and Networks and Spatial Economics
- Reviewer for reputed transportation conferences like the World Conference on Transport Research (WCTR) 2023 and the 11th Triennial Symposium on Transportation Analysis (TRISTAN XI), 2022.
- Worked in the consultancy project of NIT Calicut on conveyor layout design for the LPG bottling plant facility of Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Cochin.
- Teamed with the research supervisor for a work focus study at Caltech Polymers Private Ltd., Kakkencherry, Kozhikode, as part of a consultancy project of NIT Calicut.
- Courses offered at Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya (formerly National Rail and Transportation Institute), Vadodara as a visiting faculty:
- Flows in Transportation Networks
- Linear and Dynamic Programming
- Yield Management (Revenue Management)
- Academic courses associated with:
- Network optimization models, part of Naval Operations Analysis course, IEOR
- Flows in Transportation Networks at National Rail and Transportation Institute, Vadodara offered jointly with Prof. Narayan Rangaraj
- Quantitative models in Supply Chain Management, IEOR (Course faculty: Prof. Narayan Rangaraj)
- Introduction to AnyLogic simulation software, part of Naval Operations Analysis course, IEOR(Course faculty for Simulation: Prof. Jayendran Venkateswaran).
- Member, World Conference on Transportation Research Society
- Executive Member, Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering (IIIE) Kozhikode Chapter.
- AMPL-CPLEX optimization package
- Arena/AnyLogic simulation package
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS:
Anoop K. P., Reddy, A. M., Bhatia, M. S., Jain, A. K., Gopalakrishnan, R., Salekin, M., Singh, S. P., Satwik, R. V., Pulapadi, S., Bobade, C., Kumar, I. S., Shivasubramanian, G., Appaiah, K., Rangaraj, N., and Belur, M. N. 2023. Rationalized timetabling using a simulation tool: a paradigm shift in Indian Railways. INFORMS Journal on Applied Analytics (Formerly known as Interfaces). Available in Articles in Advance at: https://doi.org/10.1287/inte.2023.1158
Anoop, K. P. and Panicker, V. V., 2022. Multimodal transportation planning with freight consolidation and volume discount on rail freight rate. Transportation Letters, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 227-244. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/19427867.2020.1852504
Anoop, K. P., Panicker, V. V. and Pathari, V., 2022. Food grain rake allocation planning considering inventory and warehouse parameters – A model and application for India. Research in Transportation Business & Management, Vol. 44, Article id: 100628. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rtbm.2021.100628
Anoop, K. P., Panicker, V. V., Das, A. S., Abhishek, T., Vadlamani, P. S. and Akhil, U. S., 2020. Simulation modelling and analysis of warehouse operations in a food grain supply chain. International Journal of Logistics Systems and Management, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 465-487. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1504/IJLSM.2020.111853
Sawant, N. V., Panicker, V. V. and Anoop, K. P., 2020. Predictive models for rail-wagon detention in food grain logistics: a technological intervention. International Journal of Value Chain Management, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 250-272. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1504/IJVCM.2020.109238
Anoop, K. P., Panicker, V. V., Narayanan, M. and Sunil Kumar, C. T., 2018. A mathematical model and solution methods for rail freight transportation planning in an Indian food grain supply chain. Sadhana, Vol. 43, Article No. 200. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12046-018-0958-z
- Anoop, K. P., Panicker, V. V. and Sunil Kumar, C. T., 2016. Operations of Food Corporation of India: An Overview. Industrial Engineering Journal, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 29-35.
- Manoj Kumar and Anoop K. P., “An innovative modelling framework for freight consolidation in transportation planning", presented at the Ninth International Conference on Business Analytics and Intelligence (BAICONF 2022), 15 - 17 December 2022, Bangalore, India.
- Anoop K. P., Akshat Bansal, and Narayan Rangaraj, “An algorithmic approach for lower bound calculation in railway crew scheduling”, presented at the 15th International Conference on Advanced Systems in Public Transport (CASPT2022), 6-10 November 2022, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Akshat Bansal, Anoop K. P., and Narayan Rangaraj, "Railway crew scheduling: A case study of Indian Railways", presented at the 32nd European Conference on Operational Research (EURO 2022), 3-6 July 2022, Espoo, Finland.
- Akshat Bansal, Anoop K. P., and Narayan Rangaraj, "Exact and heuristic approaches for the Railway crew scheduling", presented at the 6th AIROYoung Workshop, 23-25 February 2022, Rome, Italy (presented online).
- Anoop K. P., Narayan Rangaraj, and Madhu Belur, "A heuristic based approach for freight path generation in a mixed traffic rail network", presented at the 8th International Conference on Business Analytics and Intelligence (ICBAI 2021), 20-22 December 2021, Bengaluru, India (online mode). https://www.ee.iitb.ac.in/~belur/pdfs/c21icbai.pdf
- Anoop K. P., Narayan Rangaraj and Madhu Belur, "A simulation-based tool for crew planning in rail freight services", presented at the 54th Annual Convention of ORSI and International Conference on Applications of Operational Research in Business and Industries (AORBI 2021), 17-19 December 2021, Indore, India. https://www.ee.iitb.ac.in/~belur/pdfs/c21aorbi-orsi.pdf
- Anoop, K. P. and Panicker, V. V., 2020. Redirecting freight trains: an exact optimization approach. Transportation Research Procedia, Vol. 48, pp. 137-149. DOI: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352146520304282, Presented at the 15th World Conference on Transport Research (WCTR 2019), Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai, India, May 26-31, 2019.
- Anoop, K. P. and Panicker, V. V., 2016. Heuristic based Transportation Planning for a Food Grain Supply Chain. In Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Business Analytics and Intelligence (ICBAI), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, December 19-21, 2016.
- Anoop, K. P. and Panicker, V. V., 2016. Rail-road transportation planning for a food grain supply chain. In Proceedings of the 49th Annual Convention of the Operational Research Society of India and International Conference on Analytics in Operational Research, Birla Institute of Management Technology, Greater Noida, New Delhi, India, December 12-14, 2016.
- Anoop, K. P. and Panicker, V. V., 2016. Freight Transportation Planning in a Multimodal Transportation Network. In Proceedings of the 58th National Convention of Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering and International Conference on Smart Strategies for Digital World - Industrial Engineering Perspective, Shri Ramdeobaba College of Engineering & Management, Nagpur, India, October 21-22, 2016.
- Anoop, K. P., Manu, N. and Panicker, V. V., 2016. Optimization and Simulation of the Transportation Plan in a Food-grain Supply Chain. In Proceedings of the National Conference on Industrial Engineering & Technology Management (NCIETM 2016), National Institute of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai, India, November 17-19, 2016.
- Sawant, N. V., Panicker, V. V. and Anoop, K. P., 2021. Predictive Analytics in Food Grain Logistics: Supervised Machine Learning Approach. In: Tyagi, M., Sachdeva, A. and Sharma, V. (eds) Optimization Methods in Engineering (pp. 459–466). Part of the Lecture Notes on Multidisciplinary Industrial Engineering book series. Springer, Singapore. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-4550-4_28