Prof. Jayendran Venkateswaran (JV) is a Professor of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research at IIT Bombay, where he has been a faculty since 2005. His current research and teaching interests are in modelling and analysis of complex socio-economic systems, systems modelling and simulation, last mile supply chain ecosystem, and energy access. He is co-leading the Solar Urja through Localisation for Sustainability (SoULS) initiative at IIT Bombay (www.soulsiitb.in) which involves a range of activities towards decentralised renewable (solar) energy access, including skilling, technology development, technology diffusion, adoption & sustainability, rural entrepreneurship & small industries development, etc. Through SoULS, he is also working with several development agencies (State/ NGOs/ etc), and rural communities. The initiative has received several awards including the Renewable Energy (RE) India Award 2018 for “Excellence in RE Skilling”, and Skoch Environment Gold Award (2018).
Over the years, he has worked with various multi-national industries such as General Mills, Hindalco, ICICI, John Deere, Patni Computers, etc, helping them solve their problems using sound OR methods. He loves tinkering with Python/ R/ other open source tools. He is passionate about popularising Operations Research, and Systems Thinking to help further the understanding of complex systems.
He currently serves as the Secretary of the Operations Research Society of India (ORSI)- Mumbai Chapter, is a member of the System Dynamics Society and the Society of Operations Management. He has organised two international conferences (2012 and 2018), and has several publications in leading journals and conferences to his credit. He has guided 7 doctoral students and 40+ graduate (Masters’) students.
Dr. Jayendran completed his Doctorate in Systems & Industrial Engineering, and Masters in Systems Engineering, both from the University of Arizona, Tucson in 2005 and 2002 respectively. He obtained his bachelor’s degree, MSc (Tech) in Engineering Technology from the premier undergraduate institute in India, Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani, in 2000.
- Ph.D., Systems and Industrial Engineering [with minor in Biomedical Engineering], The University of Arizona, Tucson (2005)
- Major Advisor: Dr. Young-Jun Son
- M.S., Industrial Engineering, The University of Arizona, Tucson (2002)
- M.Sc. (Tech.), Engineering Technology, Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India (2000)
- Reviewer: Simulation Modeling Practice & Theory, International Journal of Flexible Manufacturing Systems
- 2012: Organizing Co-chair for the International Simulation Conference of India (ISCI 2012) held on Feb. 2-4, 2012 at IIT Bombay.
- 2008- To Date: Institute Timetable Coordinator
- Faculty Advisor
- Ph.D.: 2012 batch onwards
- M.Tech: 2011 batch
- M.Sc-Ph.D. dual degree: 2010 batch
- 2007: Coordinator, Symposium on Optimization in Supply Chains held Oct 27, 2007 at IIT Bombay