General information (application eligibility/ procedure/ categories) along with a list of FAQs about the admission procedures are listed below.
Sample Model paper can be found here.
Applicants must have first class or 60% marks (55% for SC/ST) in:
- Master's degree in any branch of Engineering with adequate exposure to Industrial Engineering and Operations Research.
- M.Sc. in Mathematics, Statistics in Mathematics, Operations Research or Statistics.
- Bachelor's degree in any branch of Engineering with an excellent academic record.
NOTE: Candidate with Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Master's degree in Science must have a valid GATE score to become eligible for Teaching/Research Assistantships provided by the Institute.
Broadly, there are two types of applicants:
- Full-time Research Scholar (usually stay on-campus and work full-time towards the Ph.D. degree)
- Part-time Research Scholar (usually employed with some organization and work part time towards the Ph.D. degree)
Within these are different categories of applicants, which should be indicated in the Application Form.
- Full-Time Research Scholar
- TA Teaching Assistantship
- SW Sponsored Full-time
- SF Self-financed
- FA Govt./ Semi-Govt. Fellowship Awardees (QIP, CSIR, UGC, DAE, DST, DBT, NBHM, etc)
- Part-Time Research Scholar
- IS Institute Faculty / Staff
- RA Research Assistantship
- PS Project Staff
- EX Sponsored for External Registration
- CT Candidate from Colleges/ Education Institutes (in and around Mumbai)
- Visit IITB admission page for the latest Information Brochure, Application Forms, and Admission Schedule.
- Send in your duly completed application packet to Assistant Registrar (Academic), IIT Bombay, Powai,Mumbai – 400076
- Your application packet MUST contain the following:
- Filled in Ph.D. Application Form
- Completed ‘Statement of Purpose’
- One letter of recommendation in the specified format, and in the specified labeled envelope
- Two self addressed envelops (size 27cms X 12 cms)
- Demand Draft of Rs. 300/- (Rs. 150/- for SC/ST) in favor of ‘Registrar, IIT Bombay’
- A written test will be conducted to evaluate the quantitative ability of the candidates. There will be an interview for shortlisted candidates. The dates for the test and interview will be announced.
NOTE: Application forms are issued throughout the year. However, completed Application Forms received after the last date will be considered in the following semester.
Frequently Asked Questions can be found here.
Feel free to browse the IEOR website. There is plenty of information regarding the IEOR programme in general, academics, our research, IEOR activities, employment history and more. The list of current Ph.D. students of IEOR can be found here . You can get in touch with them for more information. If you need additional information, please e-mail our 2013 Admissions Coordinator, Prof. Jayendran Venkateswaran at jayendran[AT]iitb.ac.in with the subject as ‘2013 Ph.D. Admissions’.