Candidates applying for Ph.D. starting in the July 2015 Semester, please see the instructions here.
General information (application eligibility/ procedure/ categories) along with a list of FAQs about the admission procedures are listed below.
Applicants must have first class or 60% marks (55% for SC/ST) in:
- Master's degree in any branch of Engineering with adequate exposure to Industrial Engineering and Operations Research.
- M.Sc. in Mathematics, Statistics or Operations Research.
- Bachelor's degree in any branch of Engineering with an excellent academic record.
NOTE: Candidate with Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Master's degree in Science must have a valid GATE score to become eligible for Teaching/Research Assistantships provided by the Institute.
Broadly, there are two types of applicants:
- Full-time Research Scholar (usually stay on-campus and work full-time towards the Ph.D. degree)
- Part-time Research Scholar (usually employed with some organization and work part time towards the Ph.D. degree)
Within these are different categories of applicants, which should be indicated in the Application Form.
- Full-Time Research Scholar
- TA Teaching Assistantship
- SW Sponsored Full-time
- SF Self-financed
- FA Govt./ Semi-Govt. Fellowship Awardees (QIP, CSIR, UGC, DAE, DST, DBT, NBHM, etc)
- Part-Time Research Scholar
- IS Institute Faculty / Staff
- RA Research Assistantship
- PS Project Staff
- EX Sponsored for External Registration
- CT Candidate from Colleges/ Education Institutes (in and around Mumbai)
- Visit IITB admissions page for the latest Information Brochure, Application Forms, and Admission Schedule.
- Follow the instructions on the admissions page to fill in the online application form.
- A written test will be conducted to evaluate the quantitative ability of the candidates. There will be an interview for shortlisted candidates. The dates for the test and interview will be announced.
- International students interested in applying for a Ph.D. should follow the rules and instructions listed at the IIT-B International Relations webpage.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found here.