Industrial Engg. & Operations Research Dept.
- Ph.D., Cornell University (1975), in Operations Research
- M.S., Cornell University, (1971), in Operations Research
- B.Tech., I.I.T. Bombay (1968), in Mechanical Engg.
- Professor in Mech. Engg. since 1983; totally 42 years teaching experience at I.I.T., Bombay, including two years' visiting professorship at Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Bangkok, Thailand (1987-89). Founding member of the M.Tech & Ph.D. programme in Industrial Engg & Operations research at IITB (1976).
- Carried out consultation projects for Target Corporation (US) [ ongoing research project also continuing ], Larsen & Toubro, Godrej & Boyce, Mukand Iron, and Forbes & Campbell; generally in the area of Diagnostic studies in Manufacturing Planning & Inventory Control Systems. [ Studies related to some of these companies were also published under International Society for Inventory research, Budapest.]
- Served as Senior Mathematician at Westinghouse Research Labs at Pittsburgh, PA, USA, for one year (1974-75).
- Lecturer in Operations Research Department, Cornell University (Spring 1974).
- At Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, N.J., USA, served as Member of Technical Staff in two summers (1969 & 1970).
Recognition of Achievements by Awards/Prizes
- For excellence in doctoral research at Cornell University, Nominated Member of Honour Societies: Sigma Xi and Phi Kappa Phi ( 1975 )
- Cornell Graduate Fellowship: 1968 to 1971.
- Silver Medal for First Rank in Mechanical Engg. at IIT Bombay, 1968.
- Fellow of the Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering
- Founding member (Spring 1976) & subsequently served for many years as Convener for the Interdisciplinary Programme in Industrial Engineering & Operations Research at IITB.
- Member of DPGC & DUGC-Mech.Engg, IDPC-IEOR, PGAPEC, etc.
- Convener of the Committee for formulating DD programme in Computer Integrated Manufacturing in Mech. Engg.1996-97 & member of the CIM Program Revision Committee (2004-05).
Affiliations with Professional Bodies
- Member of Operations Research Society of India, Indian Society for Probability & Statistics, Indian Institution of Industrial Engg.
- Served as president of the Bombay chapter of O.R.S.I. in mid '90's.
- Member of Board of Examinations of IIIE.
Additional Academic/Professional Activities
- Served as referee for Int. J. Production Economics, IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man & Cybernetics, OPSEARCH, Int. J. of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, SADHANA (Ind. Acad. of Sci. Proceedings in Engg. Sciences), Operations Research.
- Referee for doctoral theses at IIT Kanpur, Delhi, Madras, Kharagpur, Roorkee, Poona University & some others.
- Referee for sponsored projects for D.S.T., M.H.R.D.
- Served as Member, Board of Studies of Goa University.
- Did the extensive statistical analysis in the DST Sponsored Study ( PI: Prof. S.P.Sukhatme ) on Brain Drain of IIT Bombay Alumni (1987); also contributed in detailed statistical analyses related to the MHRD Sponsored study ( PIs: Prof. S.P. Sukhatme & Prof. P.P. Parikh ) on Women Engineers in India (1992).
- Organized QIP advanced summer schools on: `Recent Developments in Production Control and Inventory Management' and `Communication, Transportation and Traffic Flows.'
- Conducted industry-oriented CEP courses on `Industrial Scheduling,' `Quality Management,' `Replacement & Maintenance,.' Delivered lectures in numerous courses organized for industries (e.g. for ACC, Crompton Greaves, etc) under Ind. Engg. & O.R. Group as well as under Mechanical Engg. Dept. and Mathematics department at IIT, Bombay; also for the Tata-InfoTech Special Interests Group on Scheduling at IIT Bombay; and in-house programs for Mahindra & Mahindra.
- Delivered lectures in numerous QIP courses organized under Ind. Engg. & O.R. Group, under Mechanical Engg. Dept. and under Mathematics Department of IIT Bombay; in areas covering Computer Aided /Integrated Manufacturing Management, Just-In-Time Production, Group technology, Quality Assurance, Reliability & Maintenance Management, Statistical Diagnostic Tools & Applications, Time Series Analysis, Advanced optimization methodologies, Knowledge-based Systems, Neural Networks & Fuzzy Systems and so on.
- Started a large number of courses for the IEOR programme of IITB, through the last three decades; and among these the ones taken frequently by students in the last 10 years by IEOR as well as DD-CIM programme students are:- 1)Industrial Scheduling, 2)Inventory Planning & Mgmt Systems, 3) Neural Nets and Fuzzy Systems, 4)Knowledgebased Systems.