The 2-year MSc. programme in Operations Research is for students with a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics or Statistics and interested in acquiring skills in engineering / interdisciplinary areas. The academic programme leading to the MSc degree involves foundation courses, advanced courses and project work. Candidates will have an opportunity to move into the PhD programme at the end of their 3rd semester, provided they meet all institute norms and departmental requirements.
|Duration:||Course work:||2 years (4 semesters)|
|Curriculum Structure (2023 Batch onward; Full Time)|
|IE507||Modeling and Computation Lab||0||1||3||5|
|IE509||Computer Programming Lab||0||0||3||3|
|IE621||Probability & Stochastic Processes I||3||0||0||6|
|IE616||Decision Analysis & Game Theory||3||0||0||6|
|IE622||Probability & Stochastic Processes II||3||0||0||6|
|IE630||Simulation Modeling & Analysis||3||0||0||6|
|IE609||Mathematical Optimisation Techniques||3||0||0||6|
|IE685||MSc Project 1||0||0||15||15|
Semester-wise Credits Distribution for MScPhD
|Electives (Department/ Institute electives)||-||6||12||30||48|
|Seminar / Communication Skills||5||-||-||5|
- Of the minimum of 8 electives (48 credits) required, at least 1 Institute Elective (6 credits) and at least 4 IE labeled department electives (of which one to be an 'Applied elective', and one from ‘Approved list’ as specified by IEOR DPGC) to be taken.
- Students who wish to continue with PhD (for MScPhD dual degree) should apply for the same by the end of their 3rd semester, and satisfy the following requirements:
- Maintain a minimum CPI of 7.0 (without any backlogs) at the end of Semester 3 and all subsequent semesters to continue for Ph.D.
- Clear the Ph.D. Qualifiers and other PhD requirements.
- Instead of 2 electives in Semester 4, they (student pursuing PhD) can do IE686 MScPhD Research Project 2.
- Additional learning courses may be prescribed by the RPC/Qualifier committee to the MSc students those who wish to continue for PhD.
- Students who plan to continue for PhD must sign up with a faculty supervisor, based on mutual consent.
- Visit the List of Courses to view the choice of electives and the course contents.
- General rules and regulations of the Programme can be found at the IITB academics page.