M.Sc. - Ph.D. Dual Degree
The MSc.Ph.D. dual degree in Operations Research is an integrated doctoral programme, for those interested in a research oriented career. The programme is open for students with a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics or Statistics, and interested in research in engineering / interdisciplinary areas. The academic programme leading to the MSc.Ph.D. dual degree involves foundation courses, advanced courses and research work. The candidate will be awarded both the MSc. and Ph.D. degrees simultaneously on successful completion of the program.
|Duration:||Course work:||2 years (4 semesters)|
|Research work:||3 years|
|Curriculum Structure (2020 Batch onward; Full Time)|
|IE507||Modelling and Computation Lab||0||1||3||5|
|IE509||Computer Programming Lab||0||0||3||3|
|IE621||Probability & Stochastic Processes I||3||0||0||6|
|IE616||Decision Analysis & Game Theory||3||0||0||6|
|IE622||Probability & Stochastic Processes II||3||0||0||6|
|IE630||Simulation Modeling & Analysis||3||0||0||6|
|IE609||Mathematical Optimisation Techniques||3||0||0||6|
|IE685||MScPhD Research Project 1||0||0||15||15|
|IE686||MScPhD Research Project 2||30|
Semester-wise Credits Distribution for MScPhD
|Electives (Department/ Institute electives)||-||6||12||18||36|
|Seminar / Communication Skills||6*||5||-||-||5+6*|
- Course-work for MScPhD dual degree programme to be completed in first 2 years (4 semesters).
- Electives: Of the minimum of 6 electives (36 credits) required, at least 1 Institute elective (6 credits) and at least 4 IE labeled department electives(of which one to be an 'Applied elective', and one from ‘Approved list’ as specified by IEOR DPGC) to be taken.
- Students need to maintain a minimum CPI of 7.0 at the end of Semester 3 and all subsequent semesters to continue for Ph.D.
- Students who wish to exit the Dual-Degree program with an M.Sc. degree,
- Should inform the department by the end of the Semester 3.
- In lieu of MScPhD Project 2 in Semester 4, they can instead do at least 12 credits through electives/ R&D project.
- See the IITB academics page for other rules governing the exit of the MSc-PhD programme with a M.Sc degree
- Students who continue with PhD, need to do MScPhD Project 2 in Semester 4 (Evaluation to be held by June 30th), and clear the Ph.D. Qualifiers.
- Ph.D Qualifiers for the students continuing for Ph.D will be held at the end of Semester 4.
- Additional learning courses may be prescribed by the RPC/Qualifier committee to the MScPh.D student at the end of 4th semester.
- Students to sign up with a faculty supervisor for their Ph.D., based on mutual consent, by the end of their 4th semester.
- MScPh.D Research Project vs. Ph.D. topic: A student may continue his/her 3rd semester project topic for Ph.D. but can choose a different topic/ supervisor also.
- Research progress: This will be monitored by a Research Progress Committee, mainly through an Annual Progress Seminar presented by the student.
- Visit the List of Courses to view the choice of electives and the course contents.
- General rules and regulations of the Programme can be found at IITB academics page.