Prerequisite: Exposure to relevant concepts at undergraduate level and instructor consent
Basic concepts in Quality Engineering and Management: definitions, approaches and relevance to organizational excellence.
Product quality control: Acceptance sampling methods- single, multiple and sequential sampling plans; Recent developments in inspection methods.
Statistical Process Control: Process evaluation and control by control charts: Various control charts including CUSUM charts and multivariate charts. Process capability studies: Various indices and approaches; use of Nomographs; Discussions on capabilities of Process, Machine and Gauge; Unit yields and rolled throughput yield.
Total Quality Management perspective, methodologies and procedures; Roadmap to TQM, ISO 9000, KAIZEN, Quality Circles, Models for organizational excellence.
Quality Function Deployment, Quality cost systems and Quality Policy Deployment
Process evaluation and control by designs of experiment: Various basic designs; Special methods such as EVOP and ROBUST design (Taguchi Methods).
Six Sigma Management: Concepts, Steps and Tools ; Benchmarking and Balanced Score Cards
Reliability engineering; statistical analysis of life time data and determination of reliability, availability and maintainability; TPM; FMECA, Fault Tree Analysis
Quality and reliability perspectives of JIT.
Application of Software tools and Case Studies.
- A.J.Duncan, Quality Control and Industrial Statistics, Richard Darwin Inc., USA.1965
- A.V.Feigenbaum, Total Quality Control, McGraw Hill International Editions, USA.1987
- D.C.Montgomery, Design and Analysis of Experiments, John Wiley and Sons, USA.1984
- J.M.Juran, Juran on Quality Control by Design, The Free Press.1992.
- W.E.Deming, Out of Crisis: Quality, Productivity and Competitive Position, Productivity and Quality Publishing Private Limited, Madras.1992
- A.Mitra, Fundamentals of Quality Control and Improvement, Pearson Education, 2nd ed. 2005.
- J.R.Evans and W.M.Lindsay, The Management and Control of Quality, Thomson.2005.
- H.M.Wadsworth, K.S.Stephens and A.B.Godfrey, Modern Methods for Quality Control and Improvement, John Wiley & Sons.2004.